Sunday, October 30, 2022

Nora's Island: The beginning

It was not at all planned.  My husband Luis and I assumed we would live in the US the rest of our lives given that our children, other family and friends live here.  In February 2019, my brother Lito became very sick and later, passed away and I returned to the province I grew up in (Camarines Sur, Philippines)  It had been 6 years since I was there last. It had been over 20 years since Luis visited the country. Serendipitously, my cousins Edgar and Arturo mentioned an island and some beachfront property that had come up for sale and on a whim, my sisters Ester, Tess and I decided to see for ourselves.

We  were not prepared for the inaccessibility of the island.  After driving to San Antonia barangay, we had to trek 3 kilometers across rice paddies, streams, rain forest and dodge carabao dung.

But when we got there, it was all worth it.  Needless to say, we, (I.  Luis did not know.) made and offer and it was accepted.

As the story goes, Nora gave the Island to her husband Luis as a birthday gift.  But it was crystal clear to him that she wanted to go home.  The U.S is a home but so is the Philippines.  Part of the year will be spent in one place, the other in the other.

What follows is an adventure that is about to unfold.


No comments:

Post a Comment